[mythtv] NTP config

Andrew Wilson migmog at gmail.com
Thu Oct 20 10:35:27 UTC 2005

On 19/10/05, Adrian Wilkins <adrian.wilkins at gmail.com> wrote:
> As an aside, the "dvbdate" utility makes a fabulous alternative to NTP
> if you have any DVB cards ; you get a timesync that is, by definition,
> perfect for recording TV, and you don't piss off any NTP services, no
> matter how often you sync.

Yes, this is one of the nice spinoffs of using DVB. I have it sync the
clock on bootup and in a daily cron job. Works perfectly, You need to
tune first though. Do something like:

#!/bin/bash
# Tune DVB adapter if nobody else is already doing so:
# I have a channel called Q. I think it's a radio station. It's handy
to type :-)
if [ -z `fuser /dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0` ] ; then
  tzap Q &
  dvbdate --set
  kill $!
else