[mythtv] re: mythtranscode defaults

David Griffith dgriffith at internode.on.net
Thu Oct 13 22:30:35 UTC 2005

On a similar topic with mythtranscode - I used it to transcode DVB-T
recordings to mpeg4. For the life of me, I can't get it to deinterlace
after that.
 From what I can tell from the source, it simply opens the mpeg2 file
for playback with null video output and records from it again at your
specified transcode recording settings, correct? Unfortunately this
leaves me with files that are pretty obviously interlaced, but cannot be
deinterlaced by myth's playback module (or my windows box). I presume
the recorder just takes what it gets, and normally deinterlacing is
handled by the playback side of things.

I suspect what needs to be done is some sort of deinterlace of the mpeg2
stream before the video is fed to the recorder.
Or maybe I need to get an external transcoder going instead.

I'm open to suggestions as to which way to go.

Regards
Dave