[mythtv] Adding support for custom capture card

Luc Gallant llgallan at engmail.uwaterloo.ca
Wed Oct 12 20:09:02 UTC 2005

Micah F. Galizia wrote:
>I'm no expert, so I'll reply off the list.  In any case, the V4L should
>be used for devices that encode and decode video.  What format is the
>media streamed in?  You might be better off to look at writing a client
>interface for the streaming video.  Depending on how it is actually
>done, most of the work may already be done for you.

Well, the video coming across the network is in MPEG4. I am pretty sure mythtv
will accept MPEG4, but if I create a DVB driver and mythtv is interfacing with
my DVB driver, will it expect MPEG2? That is a problem at this point, I have to
figure out how to get my MPEG4 to mythtv is a good way. As stated in the quote
below, I am now aware that V4L will do MPEG4, just not sure how DVB will handle
this.

Daniel Kristjansson wrote:
>I don't think you need to write a driver at all to support this device.
>It sounds similar to the DBox2 or Firewire recorders. While I wouldn't
>recommend modeling your code after those, it sounds like all you need
>to do is implement a DTVRecorder child class and a ChannelBase child
>class for your device along the lines of those two recorders. There is
>major/minor channel and "freqency id" and program number support in
>ChannelBase.

>But if you want to write a driver, DVB probably makes the most sense.
>Though V4L has no problem with MPEG4 streams.

So if it resembles those devices, and I manage to use some of their code to
create my device, wouldn't it be hard to let others use my device? I am thinking
that in this way I would have to distribute a mythtv patch to people that I
would want to try, and then they have to recompile. In the driver way, it would
be independent. That is pretty much my "worry" right now, because I don't want
to code just for myself, I want to make this stuff actually distributable.

Luc Gallant