[mythtv] Adding support for custom capture card

Daniel Kristjansson danielk at cuymedia.net
Wed Oct 12 19:52:31 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-10-12 at 15:37 -0400, Luc Gallant wrote:

> Well, I thought about that one too, just thought that maybe the V4L would be
> more common. I am not very familiar with the DVB driver spec. From what I know,
> DVB is for things like satellite and digital cable. As stated before, I will
> have sets with sub channels within them, so browsing through those is what my
> driver needs to do, giving the information to mythtv in a channel type way.

> If you ugys thing that this is the way to do it, let me know. In this case I
> just don't see where DVB would be more advantageous to V4L (i'm thinking maybe
> encoding here, but am not sure).

I don't think you need to write a driver at all to support this device.
It sounds similar to the DBox2 or Firewire recorders. While I wouldn't
recommend modeling your code after those, it sounds like all you need
to do is implement a DTVRecorder child class and a ChannelBase child
class for your device along the lines of those two recorders. There is
major/minor channel and "freqency id" and program number support in
ChannelBase.

But if you want to write a driver, DVB probably makes the most sense.
Though V4L has no problem with MPEG4 streams.

As for developer docs there are some at:
  http://www.cuymedia.net/doxygen-dev-docs/html/

These are generated from the code, which you can do yourself by going to
the mythtv/docs directory and typing "make devdocs". That would generate
some more up to date docs. You will need doxygen installed.

BTW I'm always looking for doxygen documentation patches...

-- Daniel