[mythtv] Help

Micah F. Galizia mfgalizi at uwo.ca
Wed Oct 12 19:45:08 UTC 2005

> Hello List,
>
> Two questions for everyone on the devel list:
>
> FIRSTLY:
> I have a custom device that I am interested in having mythtv support.
> Basically
> this device sends video over the network, either localhost or through the
> network, and using mythtv I want to extract the video from that pipe.
> The pipe
> could contain multiple streams (channels) and myth would then be able to
> browse
> through those channels.
>
> I figure that creating a new capture card is the way to go, but I figure
> that
> there should be a way to bridge the device into V4L device. Anyway, I
> will be
> doing the programming so any advice would be appreciated.

I'm no expert, so I'll reply off the list.  In any case, the V4L should
be used for devices that encode and decode video.  What format is the
media streamed in?  You might be better off to look at writing a client
interface for the streaming video.  Depending on how it is actually
done, most of the work may already be done for you.

> SECONDLY:
> I wanto to start editing some of the stuff for experimentation, but I
> can't seem
> to understand the structure of mythtv well enough to begin. I tried
> looking for
> documentation about the development, but can't find much. I need advice
> on how
> to get started into it. If anyone could let me know how to get going
> that would
> be greatly appreciated.

Yeah, unfortunately, there isn't a whole lot of documentation.  You can
look at the wiki as well as
http://www.cuymedia.net/doxygen-dev-docs/html, which is probably as good
as it is going to get.

Good luck!
- --
Micah Galizia
mfgalizi at uwo.ca

"The mark of an immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause,
while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for
one."   --W. Stekel