[mythtv] mythcommflag: GetNextFreeFrame() unable to lock frame 100 times. Discarding Frames.

John P Poet jppoet at gmail.com
Wed Oct 12 01:02:31 UTC 2005

On 10/11/05, Daniel Kristjansson <danielk at cuymedia.net> wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-10-11 at 18:03 -0600, John P Poet wrote:
> > When mythcommflag runs, I often get a lot of:
> > 2005-10-11 18:02:02.387 GetNextFreeFrame() unable to lock frame 100
> > times. Discarding Frames.
>
> I thought I had fixed this last week.
>
> Basically, if you get a frame you are supposed to return it,
> either by calling DoneDisplayingFrame(), if you are processing
> the "LastShownFrame", or DiscardFrame(VideoFrame*), if it is
> possibly some other frame. This is essential if you are using
> hardware decoding such as XvMC, as not doing things properly
> can deadlock the Linux kernel inside the video driver. But if
> you are using the null video output like in the commercial
> scanner, not doing it only means you will pause every 32th
> frame or so waiting for a "free-all" timeout (while waiting,
> these messages get printed out).
>
> > Commerical flagging seems to working just fine, so I assume I can
> > ignore all these?
> Yep. But, of course, it would be nicer to fix this, are you sure
> this is the commercial scanner and not transcode? I thought I
> looked though the commercial scanner pretty carefully last week.

I have never used the transcoder.

Another mythcommflag process is running now, and it is *not*
generating those messages, so it does not do it all the time.

Is there an option to "mythbackend -v" that I should add, so I can
give you more information then next time this happens?

Actually, now that I think about it, I wonder if it was trying to
"real time" flag commericals for one of my manual-record-tests even
after I aborted (and deleted) the show?  I bet mythcommflag was not
told that the show/file had been removed and kept trying to process
it.

John