[mythtv] Fwd: New MythMusic Theme - 4 bins

Vikas Rangarajan mindgrep at gmail.com
Sat Oct 8 07:17:42 UTC 2005

> >* I have designed a new layout for MythMusic which uses
> *>* 4 bins on the screen. This design is orientated
> *>* towards people with large mp3 collections of complete
> *>* albums for ease of manipulation. My main man Mr. Vikas
> *>* Rangarajan has made 5 patches so far for the MythTv
> *>* and MythPlugins 0.18.1 source code. Usability is now
> *>* quite stable. In fact, patch 1 has been accepted onto
> *>* the MythTv Trac as it fixed a common bug.
> *<snip>
> >* Anyway, a picture speaks a thousand words....
> *>*
> *>* https://sourceforge.net/project/screenshots.php?group_id=121754&ssid=19260
> *>*
> *>* and anyone interested can download it here...
> *
> The biggest issue I see with this is that the text is really too small to show
> up well on a TV.  Stuff's gotta be quite a bit bigger.  Also, how is
> navigating through a single alphabetical list of artists faster than, say,
> the splitartist view in the playlist editor?
>
> But, development for mythmusic is good. =)

Nick's new mythmusic design basically has the active playlist (as 1 bin)
displayed on top,
with the "all my music" tree (no playlists) displayed in 3-bin format below.
The playlist
editor has not (yet) been changed. This is in contrast to the current
display,
which is restricted to 1 tree, containing (all) the playlists, and
optionally,
the "all music" tree. In order to develop this new functionality in the
current mythmusic,
I had to change the code to introduce the concept of two trees on the gui.
Each of these trees has to handle keystrokes (differently) depending on
which
one has current focus.

As it stands, this does not coexist with the current design,
i.e. you cannot use a mythmusic theme that is meant for one design
with the code for the other, basically because elements of the (original
and new) design are hardcoded in the code.

We could have these changes in design implemented
in the theme instead of in the code (albeit after changes to
the current code). Right now this would make the code
messy.

Would libmythui allow for greater configurability in this regard?