iPod and generic music player support (was: Re: [mythtv] Fwd: New MythMusic Theme - 4 bins)

Eskil Heyn Olsen myth at eskil.org
Fri Oct 7 19:13:19 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-10-07 at 14:23 -0400, Isaac Richards wrote:

> > Why not side-step the issue of dependencies altogether and use
> > *external* dependencies (i.e., external scripts/applications), like
> > mythvideo does for movie info?  That way we'd have a generic
> > infrastructure capable of supporting many players, not just the iPod.
> Much better idea.

I was more looking at doing it like the Decoders in mythmusic. Ie. a
hierachy of objects that know how to handle their plugable device. Then
let configure decide if you're building for support for device a and/or
b. The objects would be instantiated when mythmusic starts up, if they
see the device appear (ie. an ipod mounted), they just load up the info
and add it to the tree.

I've already got the ipod db reader split out into a 6000 lines piece of
code libmythpod library (97kb) that just depends on libid3, libz and
libqt to build.

eskil
---