iPod and generic music player support (was: Re: [mythtv] Fwd: New MythMusic Theme - 4 bins)

Joseph A. Caputo jcaputo1 at comcast.net
Fri Oct 7 13:35:33 UTC 2005

On Friday 07 October 2005 2:20, Eskil Heyn Olsen wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-10-05 at 03:31 -0400, Isaac Richards wrote:
>

> > But, development for mythmusic is good. =)
>
> On that note ; I've got a pretty complete shoutcast decoder going, and
> started working on ipod support and then it struck me ; is doing all
> this in mythmusic going to be voided suddenly by mfd/mfe ? Should I
> focus on those two instead ?

Shouldn't really matter; if you design it cleanly/modularly, it should
be relatively trivial to port the features from one to the other.

How are you planning on doing iPod support?  Does the iPod act like a
regular sbp2/usb-storage device, or does it require special libraries?
I've been thinking about this recently, because I know a lot of music
players just present themselves as a simple mass-storage device, so to
add support to mythmusic for these would be just a matter of adding a
UI option in the playlist editor to "copy active playlist to <device>",
with maybe some logic for checking available space on the target.
However, I have an iRiver IFP player, which uses a special library to
manage its contents (I could flash it with a usb-storage firmware
update, but then I'd lose the ability to play OGG on it, which is why I
bought it in the first place).  So, I was thinking maybe the most
device-agnostic way to implement external music player support would be
to just use external scripts that you could customize for your device.
I suppose mass storage support could be built right in to mythmusic
itself, with a checkbox to override and specify scripts to run instead.
Shouldn't really be too difficult.  Thoughts?

-JAC