[mythtv] Various comments about myth Slashdot

Matt skd5aner at gmail.com
Thu Oct 6 21:14:25 UTC 2005

Seems Myth has been on Slashdot a few more times recently, one story I
noticed in particular talked specifically about myth:
 http://ask.slashdot.org/askslashdot/05/10/04/2029227.shtml?tid=129
 It sems there are some good comments in there (even some of the lower
ranking ones) on why some people love (and hate) myth. I'm happy with myth
as a user, and don't want to go back nor do I really care to try something
else because I know that myth will always get better because the devs want
it that way. However, some good points were made about what myth doesn't do,
or features that are available in other PVR solutions. Although every PVR
has it's pros and cons, I just figured that it might be neat to read some of
the comments, in particular this one was from someone that no longer
recommended myth. I think he makes some valid points, even if he had trouble
with external things (ivtv drivers, etc).
 http://ask.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=164274&cid=13719977
 I think some of the key things he says are:
 "SageTV has REAL tuner management. In MythTV if you have 2 tuners, each
recording a show, and you hit "Watch Live TV", you get the response "Sorry,
all the tuners are busy, go away".. You then have to go to the videos list,
find the recording show, then select it to watch. Then cancel the show if
you want to watch live TV, then go back to the menu and hit Live TV again.

With SageTV, you hit LiveTV and its recording two shows, it will simply show
you one of the tuners, if you try to change the channel, it will ask you,
which of the two shows you want to cancel in order to change the channel.
NICE!

Also, with MythTV, if you come home from work, turn on the TV, see your 4
hour ring buffer full and its in the middle of a movie, you hit RECORD and
it wipes out the movie up to where you are now then starts recording, LAME!
SageTV will tag the entire beginning of the show/movie to be part of the
show/movie recording, so you get it all.

MythTV is limited to a SINGLE recording directory, you can use LVM to span
your disks to join together hard disks, but you can't use network disks
then. (Im sure theres some hacky way to do it though). With SageTV, I can
use the hard disks all over my house in all my computers on the LAN. So I
got my two 250gb cards in my server machine, a 160 gig disk on another
machine and a 300 gig disk ona linux machine with a Samba server.. SageTV
records to ALL of them.
"
 Anyway, again... I'm a big fan of user feedback and seeing what the other
guys offer. I particularly like the idea of using the multiple disks over
LAN thing.
 Thanks!
Matt