[mythtv] Development task list:

Joseph A. Caputo jcaputo1 at comcast.net
Thu Oct 6 14:43:03 UTC 2005

On Thursday 06 October 2005 10:03, Daniel Kristjansson wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-10-05 at 13:35 -0400, Isaac Richards wrote:
>
> > > As for incorporating the plug-ins... I'd rather see a plugin API
> > > 2.0
> > > with calls added to make plug-ins embeddable, focus switchable,
> > > etc.
> > I just would like to see the user interfaces for the various plugins
> > more
> > integrated, really.  Whether that's through absorbing the plugins or
> > another
> > method, I don't really know yet. =)
> Perhaps we should look at the plug-in API of something like Mozilla?
> I know it isn't perfect, but they do seem to have some well integrated
> plugins.

Heh.  When I wrote the original plugin API (thought it can barely be
called such), I didn't (and still don't) know anything about any other
plugin systems at the source-code level; it was really just a little
experiment I did that worked & I decided to submit the patch.  My ego
was sufficiently massaged when it was adopted for the add-on modules,
and it was subsequently enhanced a little bit, but frankly I'm
surprised it's survived this long without someone ripping it out and
putting in a "real" plugin API, with a bit more bi-directional
communication.  The current implementation is only the barest level
above "fork(); exec()" :=)

-JAC