[mythtv] Development task list:

Fernando Vilas fvilas at iname.com
Wed Oct 5 23:56:40 UTC 2005

On Wednesday October 5 2005 17:23, Isaac Richards wrote:
> On Wednesday 05 October 2005 02:48 pm, Joseph A. Caputo wrote:
> > >
> > > Qt _does_ include its own copy of SQLite.  If it were acceptable to go
> > > through
> > > the backend for queries, this could possibly be used.
> >
> > Note that, as of a few months ago, SQLite did not work on 64-bit
> > architectures.  *Major* 32-bit assumptions in the code base.  I don't
> > know what the status is right now.
>
> If this isn't an issue anymore, I'm liking this more and more:
>
> - Write a tiny little db server app that is the only thing that talks directly
> to the embedded db.  In addition to handling queries, this app does access
> control + zeroconf advertising, so it can be found automatically by the
> backend + frontend.
> - Write a small Qt SQL driver class that talks to the 'mythdbserver' app.
> Copy it from the existing sqlite one, substitute in a network protocol.
> Should be pretty easy.  This should allow us to almost completely hide the
> change from the vast majority of the existing source, with only query
> differences to handle.
>
> Would need to transfer data over from existing installations.
>
> What this gets us:
> - No more complaining about mysql being too heavy or hard to install.
> - Less frontend configuration necessary - depending on how heavy the access
> controls are, might only need a username & password, or not even that.
> - No more 'But I want to use Postgres!' or random other database server.
> - One less big dependency.
>
> Isaac

I have been working on making the backend more DB agnostic.  Ticket 240 is part of it, but it's been quiet for a while. (Expect an update on it tonight).  With that going, it is easy to add support for any DB supported by Qt, simply by adding a class.

I am open to any comments on that project, the more the merrier.  I will try to get the changes people want done in a reasonable period of time.  I for one, would love to stop seeing people asking for XXXXX DB support from myth, and people have the freedom to use any supported by Qt.

--
Thanks,
Fernando Vilas
fvilas at iname.com