[mythtv] Development task list:

Joseph A. Caputo jcaputo1 at comcast.net
Wed Oct 5 18:48:52 UTC 2005

On Wednesday 05 October 2005 13:35, Isaac Richards wrote:
> On Wednesday 05 October 2005 08:38 am, Daniel Kristjansson wrote:
> > I would really like MythTV to be something my completely
> > non-technical
> > in-laws could install, so I'm also interested in the SQL abstraction
> > as
> > it might allow a simple linkable DB, like Berkeley DB.
>
> Qt _does_ include its own copy of SQLite.  If it were acceptable to go
> through
> the backend for queries, this could possibly be used.

Note that, as of a few months ago, SQLite did not work on 64-bit
architectures.  *Major* 32-bit assumptions in the code base.  I don't
know what the status is right now.

> > As for Qt 4.x I'm not for this unless 3.1 compatibility is kept
> > around
> > for a while, in which case I'm all for it.
>
> It'd have to be one or the other.  Qt4 gets us less of a dep on X and
> much
> easier porting to windows.

Yeah, especially since there actually exists a GPL version of Qt 4 for
Windows.

> > As for incorporating the plug-ins... I'd rather see a plugin API 2.0
> > with calls added to make plug-ins embeddable, focus switchable, etc.
>
> I just would like to see the user interfaces for the various plugins
> more
> integrated, really.  Whether that's through absorbing the plugins or
> another
> method, I don't really know yet. =)

At the very least I think any media-playing plugins should be integrated
(i.e., mythmusic, mythvideo, possibly something akin to mythstream or
mythradio, etc).  It would probably simplify things to have all media
meta-information and playback handled in a consistent manner.

-JAC