[mythtv] Re: [mythtv-commits] mythtv commit: r7389 by danielk

Daniel Kristjansson danielk at cuymedia.net
Tue Oct 4 18:06:12 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-10-04 at 13:39 -0400, Isaac Richards wrote:
> On Tuesday 04 October 2005 01:31 pm, mythtv at cvs.mythtv.org wrote:
> >       Author: danielk
> >         Date: 2005-10-04 17:31:32 +0000 (Tue, 04 Oct 2005)
> > New Revision: 7389
> >    Changeset: http://cvs.mythtv.org/trac/changeset/7389
> >
> > Modified:
> >
> >    trunk/mythtv/docs/mythtv-HOWTO.sgml
> >
> > Log:
> >
> > Add warning to docs about shutting down backend before running
> > mythtv-setup.
>
> Why?  There's only a few cases where this can cause problems.

So we don't get complaints about the cases when it does cause
problems...

There are a few cases where it causes problems: when you configure
or delete a card that already exists especially if it in use, or
when you scan for channels, or when you change the source connected
to a card input, especially if it is in use.

If you are just adding tuners or changing the hidden attribute of
some channel, sure it is safe. But I think explaining when it is
or isn't safe will just scare people with an overly complicated
explanation. And it will change over time, meaning the documentation
will have to be kept up to date.

Do people run mythtv-setup that often anyway?

-- Daniel