[mythtv] Enhanced OSD functionality in tv_play

Steve Adeff adeffs at gmail.com
Tue Nov 29 13:52:04 EST 2005

On Tuesday 29 November 2005 07:50, Bryan Mayland wrote:
> Steve Adeff wrote:
> > the only idea I have is that I want to be able to hit the OSD button to
> > see the OSD and then again to clear it, especially since I'll mostly only
> > want the smaller OSD, with occasional full OSD information. So I'm
> > thinking something along the lines of a default OSD level (large or
> > small) with using something like one of the directional buttons to change
> > the OSD size while its displayed?
>
>     Well you've got a few options: use an OSD without a smallinfo, hit
> exit (esc or backspace) while it is up, press info twice more to go
> 'round the horn', or just wait the 3 second default timeout.
>
>     My motive for not using the arrows is because they're used for
> navigation in browse mode.  I'm loosely basing my ideas on how my cable
> box works, which I think has a pretty good interface in this regard.

hehe, I'm basing my idea on my time with TiVo ;-)

I guess what I would *really* like to see, and I don't know what level of
support this is at currently, is to be able to have any action within MythTV
be dependent on the current state the UI is in and have the key press
configurable so that the interface can have a default like it is now but be
completely capable of customizing. With the Theme having the ability to
create a new mapping that best suits that themes design.

This way I could have the OSD behave how i want it and you how you want it.
Theme designers can design a theme with the remote control interface in mind
to create navigation based on the theme: like the TiVo which basically uses 6
buttons, the Motorola DVRs that use about 10,  or people with fancy remotes
that want to be able to use more buttons.

Like I said, I don't know how Myth handles this now, butI think this would be
a great way of handling interface customization.

Steve