configure problem? (was Re: [mythtv] various error(?) log messages)

Petr Stehlik pstehlik at sophics.cz
Sun Nov 27 06:09:51 EST 2005

Petr Stehlik píše v Ne 27. 11. 2005 v 01:02 +0100:

> 2) NVR::AudioInit() This Unix doesn't support device files for audio
> access. Skipping
>
> I don't get any sound from my /dev/dsp anymore. It does work with
> 0.18.1. Any idea?

The "This Unix" message means that SOUNDCARD_H has not been defined by
configure. It was not defined because I disabled OSS support completely
(to get rid of unnecessary OSS emulation by ALSA).

The question is: does NVR absolutely require OSS? Google found "foom at
fuhm" working on adding ALSA support to NVR back in 2003. Considering
that ALSA worked fine in 0.18.1.. Anyway, if it requires ALSA then
--disable-oss in configure should perhaps warn the user..

Ah, dear google:
http://www.mail-archive.com/mythtv-dev@mythtv.org/msg07783.html

"There really shouldn't be an explicit user-controllable disable-oss
option"

Petr