[mythtv] Modifying the D1 Home Media Centre to use a tv_grab script

Lincoln Dale ltd at interlink.com.au
Sat Nov 26 18:19:17 EST 2005

Ralph wrote:
> Q5: Well, what's so hard about that then?
> A5: The HMC's version of MythTV was rewritten solely for use with
> D1's EPG. There is no 'mythtv-setup' because there is no need to
> configure any hardware or software. There is no tv_grab script
> either, because mythfilldatabase was re-written to directly access
> D1's own EPG at http://d1.com.au/D1xmltv.asmx So some 'backwards'
> development work needs to be done in order for the HMC to use a
> standard version of mythfilldatabase and a tv_grab_au script.

there are quite a few EPGs available in Australia.  i don't use a D1 box
but did previously use the D1 EPG since there was a tv_grab_au script
which could use it.

however, there has been (what i consider to be) a 'better' tv_grab_au
script available that uses ninemsn data.

note that you probably don't need a 'mythtv-setup' to change this -
mysql access with phpMyAdmin provides a nice interface to modify things
in the datbase...

 > Q6: Hmm, tricky...so how far have you got with this?
 > A6: With the assistance of many of you :) I have tried a lot of
 > things, eg. using the version of mythfilldatabase from MythTV 0.14
 > (results in a core dump, maybe because there are other
 > modules/dependencies that also need to be changed?); I have installed
 > KnoppMyth to see if I can work out what actually happens when you
 > select a particular tv_grab script (eg. perhaps it writes a value in
 > mythconverg somewhere?) in the hope of emulating this on the HMC; but
 > so far, no luck.

D1 have based their product on something licensed under the GPL.

as such, they are obliged to provide both source-code, their changes and
instructions on how to build an 'image' that runs on their hardware.

regardless of GPL or otherwise, there really isn't any rocket-science to
what mythfilldatabase does - i don't think the database schema has
changed that much regardless of what version d1's code is based on.

but i'd be very very surprised if its on 0.14 - more likely 0.16 or 0.17
but given they support dvb these days its likely 0.17 or 0.18.

cheers,

lincoln.