[mythtv] Live-TV & Recording nightmare

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Nov 22 15:58:20 EST 2005

Stuart Morgan wrote:

>Has anyone else tried to record a programme they are watching in Live-TV and
>had problems?

What version?  Stable and SVN have very different implementations of LiveTV.

>I was watching a film, about 5 minutes in I decide I would like to record it.
>I hit record, the "Recording XXXXXXX" message appears and the in-progress
>recording appears in the recordings screen.
>
>I was a little puzzled because the Programme Guide didn't show the film as
>recording but I shrugged that off. Later I discovered that it had only
>recorded the first 45 minutes of the two hour film.

The important question here is actually why did it stop recording?  Bad
program guide data?  Godd program guide data, but a network that was
broadcasting 1 1/4 hours off schedule? ...

> Annoyed I deleted and
>'allowed re-record'  but found the the next showing was not scheduled.

Delete and allow re-record simply deletes the file and removes the
"recorded" recstatus from the oldrecorded table so that any rule that
matches the program--even if using duplicate detection--will record it.
If you don't have a recording rule that matches the program, it won't be
recorded.

LiveTV makes a recording rule that only matches the one specific
showing--the one you're currently watching.  Therefore, you must create
a recording rule for the program.  IMHO, making a recording rule is
always a better idea, anyway--that way, Myth may see a later showing of
the program and decide to record it in its entirety instead of recording
the current partial showing.  Then again, I don't even understand why
people watch LiveTV, so I may be^H^H^H^H^H^Hprobably am biased...

Mike