[mythtv] RE: [mythtv-commits] mythtv commit: r7983 by danielk

Stuart Morgan stuart at tase.co.uk
Tue Nov 22 15:32:10 EST 2005

> > This doesn't actually fix the OSD font size in the letterbox modes
> > as stated in the ticket summary.
> >
> > But what it does do is keep the aspect ratio of the fonts correct.
>
> Not sure i like the result of this one.
> If i watch a recording in 16:9 the fonts in the osd menu is too big to fit
> properly resutling in the text being cut off.
> This only happends on 16:9 recordings.

I've got the same problems here too. Although in this case it is affecting 4:3
recordings. The root of the problem is possibly the long-standing bug with
aspect ratio detection*. The starting ratio of the recording doesn't always
reflect the actual ratio of the program. For example 16:9 adverts preceding a
4:3 programme will cause the entire playback to be 16:9 unless the ratio is
manually corrected - the OSD uses the starting scale and ignore the manual
change.

* For those who haven't seen the numerous reports aspect ratio detection was
broken a several weeks back.
--
Stuart Morgan