[mythtv] Re: [mythtv-commits] mythtv commit: r7932 by nigel

Nigel Pearson nigel at ind.tansu.com.au
Sun Nov 20 21:43:35 EST 2005

> I imaged just the plugins for performance reasons.

	Understand, though that is probably a reason
to _not_ have automagic disk images created :-)

> Enabling the backend works and is probably a good idea if it's getting
> time to start packaging the backend for OSX. Is anyone working on
> this? I could give it a go in December sometime.

	No-one that I know of. I keep making a mental note
to start looking up the FireWire access code, and looking
on eBay for appropriate hardware, but never get any further.

> One other change I made affects how, in the absence of a revision or
> tag argument, the script does an svn update before building each
> component.
> Oftentimes there will be a checking during the mythtv build and the
> plugins will be from a different revision. The odds of a problem are
> small but why court trouble.

	If the plugins and mythtv are incompatible, it may be
due to a build occurring in the middle of an SVN update.
Your "pick a revision and use it" fix is interesting,
but I don't think it guarantees that the resultant code
will interoperate. r1234 of mythtv might not talk to r1234
of mythplugins, and the situation might not change until r2345.
And there is nothing that an automated checkout can to about it.

	Sometimes the user will just have to wait for SVN updates
to finish, and then try again. Or, build --svnrev rBLAH,
where blah is a good known revision.

> Also, if you're just doing local hacking and you want to build a new
> frontend what are you supposed to do? The nohead seems to be a step in
> that direction but I don't understand all the cleaning of makefiles
> and reconfiguring. I mean if I just tweak one .cpp it should rebuild
> that, relink and repackage. How are we intended to do that?

	nohead just prevents another svn checkout.
Useful when building on a laptop while commuting.

	I think at the moment, the script will always delete the
makefiles and then do a configure. The latter is the problem,
because it regenerates some headers, which will force a big
re-compile of most of the source.

	A workaround would be to add a "rebuild" option,
which skips the reconfigure (and maybe the Makefile deletion).

--
Nigel Pearson, nigel at ind.tansu.com.au | "Gentlemen,
Telstra Dev. Lab, Sydney, Australia   |  you can't fight in here