[mythtv] status off subtitle support for internal player

Ian Caulfield imc25 at cam.ac.uk
Sat Nov 19 17:42:32 EST 2005

On Sat, 19 Nov 2005, Steven wrote:

> I was wondering I anybody could tell if the internal player will ever be able
> to support subtitle files. I don't mean embedded in the mpeg stream but
> external (.srt or other) files.

If anyone gets round to writing a codec to read/write the various subtitle
file formats, then I imagine it's quite likely. If you're interested in
coding this yourself, I suggest you look at implementing this as an ffmpeg
codec, like the current subtitle codecs.

An alternative might be re-encoding your subtitle files into dvd or dvb
subtitle format and then multiplexing them in with your media files
(although I think this only works from mpeg PS/TS containers).

Ian