[mythtv] F1 for key-binding help

Daniel Kristjansson danielk at cuymedia.net
Sat Nov 19 17:26:31 EST 2005

On Sat, 2005-11-19 at 14:12 -0800, Ted Romer wrote:
> I'm planning to code up a simple context-sensitive help window that
> would show the keybindings for the current context.

> F1: pop up a modeless transparent help window with text describing the
> keys and their functions in the current context, and give focus to
> this window.  If the help window is already open, give it focus.
Sounds cool.

> 2. Has this already been done/thought about?  I didn't see any similar
> features/tasks/bugs in Trac.
See #590, it is for a similar functionality in the mythcontrols.

> 3. Any complications I should anticipate?
In addition to the ones in #590, I believe that F1 is already
bound in some contexts as context sensitive help. And there are
probably more active keys in some contexts than there is screen
real-estate. You might need F1 to cycle through several screens.

> 4. Any tips on where to hook in the code?
ProcessKeyPress()?
I think you should coordinate with Hal Burch on finishing #590, and
then use some of that code for your extension. I believe he was going
to look at it again after Thanksgiving.

-- Daniel