[mythtv] Myth over slower links

Joseph A. Caputo jcaputo1 at comcast.net
Sat Nov 19 11:40:49 EST 2005

Robert LeBlanc wrote:

>Are you talking about on the fly transcoding? That would be cool. I have
>some shows that I like high res and would like to keep them.
>
>Does Myth have a enable over slow link? Basically it tries to download
>the first second (wall time), gets an estimate of how long it will take
>to download the show. If download < play length, buffer a small amount
>and then play. If downlad > play length buffer until download < play
>length + extra buffer. Not sure if the mythprotocol is able to do that.
>The biggest problem is that my 10 Mb service is not always 10 Mb. Until
>the service matures more I think i will get fluctuations from 3 Mb to 10
>Mb.

IMHO this would be a much more flexible way to enable low-bandwidth
playback than on-the-fly transcoding.  Many other network-aware media
players have built-in buffering (MPlayer, RealPlayer, to name a
couple).  The user could define the buffer size as a percentage (of
total recording), a time (number of seconds to buffer), or a size (MB to
buffer).

-JAC