[mythtv] OSDConvo idea

Kim Wall kim at ductilebiscuit.net
Thu Nov 17 20:09:26 EST 2005

Devan Lippman wrote:
> Had an idea I thought I'd shoot by everyone.  I was thinking about
> making a new OSD type for handling conversations.  Anyone have any
> thoughts on this before I go tearing away?

As someone who occasionally indulges in the somewhat sad passtime of
synchro-watching TV with people on an IRC channel[1], I've thought
something like this would be a really cool feature.

One thing that springs to mind (that may or may not be obvious,
depending on your location) is to make use of the dead space of
letterbox/pillarbox bars, when available[2], perhaps by shifting the
video off-centre and combining the bars for more space.

Kim.

[1] In fact, some means of synchronising playback over IRC (or whatever)
would be cool, but that's a feature for the network plugins...

[2] Here in the UK, the majority of (new) digital broadcasts are in
16:9, but many (most?) of us are still using 4:3 displays.  The majority
seem to watch in wiggle-and-chop or stretch-o-vision, but I suspect the
average mythtv user actually understands and prefers the correct aspect
ratio.