[mythtv] New MPEG2 commercial-cut code ready for testing

Cory Papenfuss papenfuss at juneau.me.vt.edu
Mon Nov 14 07:42:25 EST 2005

> My main requirement is to remove the flagged sections of the
> data stream, without changing it otherwise. It looks like your
> test tool does the trick.

 	Trouble is, sometimes the streams need changing.  The ivtv
captures from tape are notoriously full of missing video frames which
break most post-processing programs.  Granted, if the commercials were cut
out, one could just ignore the timestamp mismatches if the only intent was
to play the resulting video.  If the goal is to have a cleaned up
MPEG2->MPEG2 stream as the master copy on the mythbox however, it probably
needs cleaning.

 	Of course, other things that come more or less for free from this
are the removal of padding streams in captures (a few percent on some
captures from what I've seen), remux into more friendly PUs,
frame-accurate editing, and the possibility of hooking in tcrequant for
minor bitrate reductions on-the-fly.

 	Lots of potential here once things are cleaned up and easy to work
with.  Great work so far... this is the closest I've seen to true lossless
cutting from within mythtv since I realized it wasn't present 18 months
ago.

-Cory