[mythtv] New MPEG2 commercial-cut code ready for testing

Geoffrey Hausheer mythtv0368 at phracturedblue.com
Sun Nov 13 16:39:11 EST 2005

On 11/13/05, Cory Papenfuss papenfuss-at-juneau.me.vt.edu {MythTV}
<ticket_7ae9cde7519064942bb26bba32c78366 at phracturedblue.com> wrote:
>         That got it to compile, but the -c doesn't appear to work
> correctly on one of my streams.  I'm sending something like:
> mpeg2fix -i sync.nuv -o test.mpg -c "1 - 7440"
> and it hangs indefinately.  If I cut to a different point:
> mpeg2fix -i sync.nuv -o test.mpg -c "1 - 7400"
> it appears to work (although blockiness).
I have found a couple of trivial fixes that may address the blockiness
and the hanging (and a segfault).  Go here:
http://www.pblue.org/myth/mpeg2fix-0.8.tgz

It includes the other fix I posted that was giving you problems
getting started earlier too.

Basically, what I have been doing to test  is to take a stream, choose
two arbitrary cut points and then move them around
incrementing/decrementing one at a time to cycle through an entire GOP
at the front and the end, watching the 'Converting Frame...' message
to see what frame number I'm on.

But yes, you are using it correctly:  -c "start_frame - end_frame" (in
absolute frame numbers).  Because of telecine, there is no easy way to
predict what time the cuts are supposed to happen, so I the logic got
pretty hairy, and that is what I am most concerned about.

There is one thing I know needs fixing:  At the end of a cutlist, the
frame-number should restart at '0', and that doesn't happen yet.  I'm
not sure if this will cause playback problems or not, but in general,
it shouldn't.  After a cutframe, I do reencode such that the first
frame is always an 'I' frame, and add a sequence and gop header at
that point.

.Geoff