[mythtv] IPTV project - 'officially' starting

Paul Wayper paulway at mabula.net
Sun Nov 13 07:28:35 EST 2005

Steve Adeff wrote:
> On Thursday 10 November 2005 22:14, Robert Johnston wrote:
>
>>IPTV is a system for service providers to provide television services
>>over high-speed internet connections (Cable Modem or ADSL2, for
>>example).
>
> I assumeyou mean how Verizon plans on offering HDTV through their FIOS
> service? From what I've heard they are currently doing a test run of this in
> 1 neighborhood in the States. From what I hear their plan is to eventually
> offer normal cable-type service through their FIOS lines.

Yeah, this is basically the situation I'm looking at.  A similar system is
already running through VDSL-and-fibre in Canberra, Australia where I live.
Given that one guy has tested it and found that he could record up to three
channels simultaneously on the same connection, I think this'd be a great
alternative to having to buy more TV cards to get more channels...  And AFAICS
IPTV is the way ISPs will go, trying to offer more 'value' to their customers
to choose them over other ISPs and to choose the faster, higher-priced
services over old ADSL.

Multicast serving and broadcasting is another project entirely and one I'm not
touching. :-)

So far I've written up the rough framework of the channel and the recorder
classes.  I'd really appreciate some idea of how to share my work with others,
given that I'm working in a directory that's already a subversion checkout.  I
have a subversion server myself - should I make a repo on it, put the files in
there, and then symlink them in the actual mythtv checkout path?  This seems
the most logical way, but is it sensible - how do other people do this?

Thanks in advance,

Paul