[mythtv] Breaking Live-TV

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sat Nov 12 10:43:46 EST 2005

Bob Cottingham wrote:

>Whats the impact of changing the chanid? Does anyone have chanids
>higher than 1999?

Generally, mythfilldatabase tries to use:
    - For "normal" channels (with no separator)
        chanid = <source id>*1000 + <channum>
    - For channels with separator (i.e. "35_1" or "35-1" or "35.1")
So a video source numbered 1 with two channels, 3 and 15, would have
chanid's 1003 and 1015.  In the event that we have a channum > 999--such
as 8785 (which is common on satellite sources, at least)--on video
source 2, the chanid would be 10785.  If the "desired" chanid is already
used, Myth takes the "next available" chanid (MAX(chanid on source) + 1).

>What is the highest reasonable number? Could you
>simply add 7000 to the chanid for all LiveTV shows and have the system
>smart enough to know that 8011 was the same channel as 1011 but
>recorded by LiveTV? That also would give an easy way of indicating
>right in the filename that it was a LiveTV recording, which may have
>its benefits as well.  I know I'm talking out of my league here, but
>hope you don't mind me throwing out ideas.

Adding 7000 wouldn't work for a user with 8 video sources whose channel
numbers on source 8 overlap with channel numbers on source 1 (which
would be possible if it's the same channel on different sources--i.e.
OTA and digital cable, for example).  Even if we add 10000, we could
have an overlap with large-channel-numbers, although it becomes less
likely as we choose a higher and higher number to add.

The highest channel currently available through DISH network is 9850, so
if DISH were on video source id 10 and I had 9850 in my lineup, my Myth
box would have a chanid of 19850.  Then, if some of the chanid for lower
channels were taken, they would become 19851, 19852, etc.  Note, also,
that having a video source 10 does not mean that I have 10 sources in
use--only that I've defined 10 throughout the life of my Myth box.

Mike