[mythtv] Breaking Live-TV

Bob Cottingham bobnvic at gmail.com
Fri Nov 11 15:09:56 EST 2005

On 11/11/05, Chris Pinkham <cpinkham at bc2va.org> wrote:
> > Any interest in assigning livetv files to a 'LiveTV' category that
> > doesn't automatically appear under 'All Programs'?  This would keep
> > the recordings separated and easily assessible, unless I'm missing
>
> I think it's better to use a LiveTV Recording Group, then we can "save"
> LiveTV programs just be changing their Recording Group to something
> else (and changing the autoexpire and any other fixups necessary at the
> same time, but the GUI wouldn't have to change to allow saving of LiveTV.

You're right of course, I confused the terms.

I'm not sure if I'd want recordings of even entire livetv shows
showing up under All Programs. It's not unusual for LiveTV to be on
for half the day or left on overnight in our house even though no one
is really watching. It may not be as bad as I'm imagining though.

Speaking of my family's viewing habits, I have seen my wife occasionly
watching a show on LiveTV that is recording on another tuner at the
same time because the show came on LiveTV after another show she was
watching. What happens in a situation like this? I assume the
filenames are the same whether recording from LiveTV or scheduled if
you start at the beginning of the show?

With LiveTV shows being autoexpired first, I wonder what will happen
in certain situations such as pausing LiveTV and going away for
several hours. It can't autoexpire a recording in use, so the show you
are currently watching is safe and I assume it would delete the next
show. This could be a problem if you are watching a sports game that
runs late and you missed the end of the game.  What if there is only
one program that is still in the process of being recorded after the
show that is paused? Would it delete the in-progress recording? I
think in these cases I would rather have it delete an old scheduled
recording.

I'm sure you and Isaac have already considered these situations, but I
can't tell from the commits what the result might be and I since my
wife relies on LiveTV I'm going to stick with 7673 until after it is
ready to be tested without my wife killing me.

Thanks,
Bob