[mythtv] MythGame new RomDB commit

harywilke harywilke at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 10 21:01:46 EST 2005

On Nov 11, 2005, at 3:04 AM, harywilke wrote:

> On Nov 11, 2005, at 12:57 AM, Greg Estabrooks wrote:
>
>>> romdb from the command line with 'mysql -D mythconverg -u mythtv -p
>>> < ./romdb-2005-1101-01.sql', then go back to mythtfrontend/setup/
>>> mythgame and scan for my games. correct?
>>
>>  Correct.
>>
>>> also on the mythgame setup screen if i 'clear rom metadata' do i
>>> have
>>> to reload the romdb.sql? or does this just clear any rom metadata
>>
>>  That is only referring to the current data that is stored about each
>> of your games and does not touch the romdb table at all.  It
>> basically
>> allows you to "start from scratch" with regards to your game list.
>>
>>  Currently it wipes everything from gamemetadata.
>>

> ok thanks.
>
> I'm getting some strange results. I have a bunch of xmame roms,
> that i just scanned in with "Indepth Game Scan" checked on. when i
> go to play them, only about 50 of them have been sorted into genres
> and even then a few of them display "UnknownMAME" as the genre. for
> example. i navigate down to - By Genre/Ball & Paddle/ I find one
> game, when i select it the information displayed is System: xmame,
> Year:19xx, Genre:UnknownMame, Favorite:No This seems strange since
> it is actually sorted into a genre in the display. Where can i look
> for clues as to what is going wrong?
>
> -hary

i did a little digging with phpMyAdmin and i'm seeing different crc
values in the romDB and what the Indepth scan recorded. Is there
anything i need to do to prepare my roms for being scanned? or any
ideas why i would be getting different crc values?

Also i think might have found what is causing the Genre:UnknownMame
yet still sorted problem. I have a couple roms of different versions
of the same game. one got a crc match and the other did not, now they
have the same gamename value. perhaps this is where the confusion
comes from? if so wouldn't it be better to use the crc value as the
key to retrieving information to display? I'm no coder, so perhaps
that's not what is happening here.
-hary