[mythtv] Re: [mythtv-commits] mythtv commit: r7763 by kkuphal

Joseph A. Caputo jcaputo1 at comcast.net
Sun Nov 6 10:55:45 EST 2005

Kevin Kuphal wrote:

> Bruce Markey wrote:
>
>> mythtv at cvs.mythtv.org wrote:
>>
>>>       Author: kkuphal
>>>         Date: 2005-11-05 23:19:34 +0000 (Sat, 05 Nov 2005)
>>> New Revision: 7763
>>>    Changeset: http://cvs.mythtv.org/trac/changeset/7763
>>>
>>> Modified:
>>>
>>>    trunk/mythtv/programs/mythfrontend/viewscheduled.cpp
>>>
>>> Log:
>>>

>>> Displays Later Showings in the same font as Earlier, Disabled, and
>>> other non-recordings states
>>

>> This was absolutely deliberate. Later means 'the scheduler
>> decided it may be best to postpone this so hit "Record anyway"
>> if you'd rather have this ASAP'. Earlier means 'who gives a rats
>> ass, it's going to record earlier anyway'.
>>
>> States like rsInactive, rsLowDiskSpace, rsLaterShowing, etc.
>> are active font to tell the users that it coudda, shouldda,
>> wouldda record and the user may want to do something about.
>> rsPreviousRecording, rsEarlierShowing, rsRepeat, etc. is
>> just trivial crap. The show has been or will be recorded
>> and this is all just 'oh, by the way...'. It could be said
>> that a Later is going to record eventually but I actively
>> look for Laters to see if things shuffled around the I'd
>> most prefer.
>>
> This seems entirely contrary to the intention.  If you want to draw
> attention to something that the user may want to take action on, it
> should be in a font *other than* the font that all the normal
> recordings are in.  rsLaterShowing is, to me, as much of a "oh, by the
> way" as rsEarlierShowing.  I don't care that you're recording it
> later, just that you're recording it at all.  And it seems entirely
> illogical that rsInactive would show in the normal font when it isn't
> recording.
> At a minimum, it would be nice to have these be in a different font
> classification that, if nothing else, the theme designers could choose
> to display either in the same as the active font or something entirely
> different to draw attention to it.
>
> Kevin

Thing thing is here, we're not trying to draw the user's attention.
This *is* supposed to be an "oh, by the way".  You told the scheduler to
"record one showing", or some other similar rule that gives the
scheduler the freedom to choose between multiple showings.  All showings
except the one that will actually get recorded are shown in an inactive
font, purely for informational purposes, regardless of whether they are
earlier showing or later showings.

-JAC