[mythtv] Extracting EPG from sat feed

Robin Gilks g8ecj at gilks.org
Thu Nov 3 20:12:03 EST 2005

Greetings all

Most of my TV viewing is done through the NZ Sky sat system and its
difficult to get a reliable EPG feed due to a variety of reasons (TV
company greed mostly!!).

I'm using a set-top-box for the sat feed due to its proprietory encryption
but was wondering if anyone knows if the EPG data is 'in the clear' and
could be pulled for folding back into mythtv (I can see a LOT of perl etc
happening here) if I were to put a card into my server PC that took the
LNB downlink in parallel with the STB, would I be able to scrape this
data?

I guess the most work lately has been for terrestrial DVB transmissions
but I'm sure I saw somewhere that the basic protocols were the same for
most sat systems as well.

Cheers...

--
Robin Gilks