[mythtv] Mythtranscode .mpg => .mpg not .mpg => .nuv

Geoffrey Hausheer mythtv0368 at phracturedblue.com
Wed Nov 2 20:05:33 EST 2005

Just as a status update, the new transcode work I'm doing is
progressing quite well.

I have incorporated replex into the code (mplex was giving me
fits),and switched to libmpeg2 for frame processing...This basically
involved yet another rewrite of the code.
I have spent a lot of time validating the output, and can now generate
very good quality streams either removing telecine or not.

There are still many things I need to finish:
support AC3
ensure ATSC works
support discontiuous PTS
support missing audio (not really sure what to do for this)
don't drop the final video frames in the buffer
clean up the code
convert to c++ and hook into myth.

After all of that is done, I'll be ready to add cutlist support (which
is actually rather minor in comparison)

There are some things I'm not sure what to do with yet, the biggest
being subtitle support.

I don't have a TS multiplexer, which means that generating valid ATSC
output files will be impossible (they'll be converted to PS).  It
actually may be possible to add TS support to replex, but that isn't a
task I'm feeling up to yet.

I'm also not sure how to handle the replex dependency yet as far as
including the code with mythtv, as it is yet another library
dependency.  Perhaps Isaac would prefer that I keep the files local to
the mythtranscode directory.  It is even worse, in that I have had to
patch the code to fix bugs in the multiplexer.

When I have something taht I think is worth getting wider testing,
I'll send it here.

.Geoff