[mythtv] mutliple storage directories idea... ?

Steve Adeff adeffs at gmail.com
Wed Nov 2 13:00:42 EST 2005

On Tuesday 01 November 2005 11:58, Kevin Kuphal wrote:

> >>I wonder if you could use iSCSI to share the drives from multiple
> >>servers and combine them with LVM
> >>
> >>Kevin
> >
> >Yes, you could, but only on a block level. All servers would always need
> >to be up-and-running simultaneously, otherwise LVM will not activate the
> >volumegroup.
> >Also, the contents of the disks would only make sense on the server
> >running LVM: it would not be possible to access the data on one of the
> >other 5 servers.
> >
> >So: although possible, probably not a good idea.
>
> True.  Once I sent it I starting thinking, jeez, a reboot would really
> mess that LVM up.
>
> :)

Another reason to have improved multiple storage directories support. The perl
script is a nice start, but not what I would consider a proper solution. I
wish I could help actually code an improved version, but all I can offer are
ideas... That said, I do have some questions about how the script and
database operate:
1. I don't understand the requirement for transcoded shows that remain in the
recordings database be .nuv as opposed to say .avi? is this purely a naming
convention issue or can the MythTV playback engine not able to play avi
files?
2. why can't the database contain not just the file name but also the
directory under which that file is contained? Would this not eliminate the
need for the symlinking? Consider the fellow that said he had 300+ Simpsons
recordings. Wouldn't it make some sense if he could place them all
in /blah/blah/Simpsons and then have the database look for the files there
via a directory entry than having to have 300+ symlinks in his normal
recording directory?

This, it would seem, would be a first step in multiple recording directory
support. Sure the algorithms for where to place the next recording could be
worked out later, but it would seem that the perl script currently used could
be simplified to just moving the file and placing the new directory in the
database for that recording.

Thanks,
Steve