[mythtv] Intro and Mythweb

Erin Tomson erin at rgba.net
Tue Nov 1 03:49:31 EST 2005

Chris Petersen wrote:
>> I've been working on some changes to mythweb lately, and wanted to run
>> them by you all. My goal is to add support for mythweb themes that use
>> AJAX. (there's a good description of AJAX at
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AJAX if you're unfamiliar with it)
>

> At least the recorded programs page already does this.

Yeah, I'm still on 18.1. I'm guessing that's in a newer version?

I'll get the latest and take a look.

> Yup.  Except that passing "large" stuff by reference shouldn't be all
> that slow.  I agree that it's a bad idea for a lot of stuff, though.

I was more concerned with the time it takes to rebuild that data
structure on each access.

> Here's why I haven't been accepting large mythweb patches recently (and
> why I haven't done much developing)..
>
>  * Primarily, I've been working on my house and my yard (since it was
>    summer)...
>  * Lately, I'm suffering/recovering from a repetitive-stress type
>    arm/shoulder injury and try to stay away from the computer as much as
>    possible while at home.  Such is life, but I'd rather heal now than
>    live with this for the rest of my life.
>  * I'm working on a major rewrite of how my programs are architected
>    (see https://svn.forevermore.net/cooktools/ for pieces).  Until I get
>    this in place, I won't accept any core updates to mythweb, and
>    anything you write against the current tree won't work once I make
>    the updates.
>
> There are a handful of things I *will* accept patches for:
>
>  * Mythweb's "video" section (it sucks, I didn't write it, I want it to
>    be rewritten or go away, but I don't use mythvideo so I'm not the one
>    to rewrite it.
>  * Mythweb's "music" section (same as above)
>  * "search" type recording profiles (I should have put these in ages
>    ago, but still haven't found the time to do so)

I'm sorry to hear about your injury. With regard to the other issues, do
you have a timeframe for when you plan to have the rewrite you talked
about done? I've been having fun delving into this, so I suppose I'm
chomping at the bit, so to speak.

> Portions of mythweb are getting relicensed or dual-licensed as LGPL so
> that I can share code with work (eg. includes/db.php and all javascript
> code) -- meaning Silicon Mechanics employees (we'll be 3 coders in a
> couple of weeks) will officially contribute at least small portions of
> code to MythWeb, but the only way I can do this is if the code is
> licensed in such a way that the company can benefit, too.  My reading of
> the GPL, especially version 3, won't allow this, and if I accept many
> changes to files that are currently 100% my work (I can provice an
> exclusive license for any of my code), it will move into a legal grey
> area that I don't want to deal with.

What's the process for relicensing? Is it just a matter of getting
agreement between the parties involved then slapping the new license in
the files? Is there dissent about doing this?

> *If* someone wants to help with this major rewrite, I'm open to help,
> but as I'm not entirely finished with the design ideas yet, there will
> be a lot of conversation needed.  Contact me on irc if you want to talk
> about it.

Ok. Will do. Where do I find you on IRC?

Thanks, Chris!