[mythtv] Re: jumping picture

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue May 31 20:36:59 UTC 2005

Jarod Wilson wrote:

>>>If I switch "Deinterlaced playback" from "Bob" to something else – the
>>>jumping disappear. Is there a bug in the Bob algorithm?
>>>

>>Hmm...No, I don't think so.  I am running with bob deinterlacing (and
>>opengl vsync).  In fact, I really need to use bob if I want the best
>>picture on my setup...
>>

>Works just fine for me too, on three different boxes.

Perhaps it's not a question of whether it works or not, but instead the
OP misunderstands how bob deinterlacing works and the trade-offs
associated with it (as *all* deinterlacing methods have tradeoffs). I.e.
scenes with horizontal lines tend to show a "bobbing" effect with "bob"
deinterlacing. (No, bob deinterlacing was not invented by a guy named,
"Robert.")

See http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/dev/81700#81700 for a
bit of background on bob and a change you can make to the Myth source
that may help. (The info is in the link in the post, but unfortunately
the link includes the period at the end of the sentence, so use
http://www.100fps.com/why_bobbing.htm instead.)

Mike