[mythtv] The scoop on programid and when it's not present

Brad Templeton brad+mydev at templetons.com
Sat May 28 17:46:55 UTC 2005

I recall some talk a while ago of synthetic programids, and I see
code in mythfilldatabase that does generate them when they are
missing.

What is the situation for people overseas who are not using
datadirect?  It's been reported to me that they don't have programids.

Is there a plan long term to assure all listing entries have a programid,
generating one synthetically (from hash of title/subtitle/description)
if need be?  It sure would be handy.

Would it cause damage if I were to generate synthetic programids when
they are missing with a regularly run
    update program set programid = [synthetic] where programid = ''
                        (possibly check for null as well)

or similar?