[mythtv] modeline 240p+BOB

John P Poet jppoet at gmail.com
Sun May 22 23:45:46 UTC 2005

On 5/22/05, Doug Larrick <doug at ties.org> wrote:
> John P Poet wrote:
> > Is anyone using the BOB deinterlacer with SD material?  If so, what
> > modeline are you using?
>
> I went through a similar process to what you described (and I snipped),
> but ended up watching 480i material scaled to 540p since (a) the OSD
> looks so much better, and the video is not enough worse to bother me,
> and (b) remembering to use Myth's versus my TV's widescreen modes was
> annoying.
>
> That said, I got a marginally better picture using a 480p (vs. 540p)
> modeline for watching 480i with bob deinterlace; both are much better
> than a 240p modeline.
>
> -Doug

Okay, thanks.

What happens when BOB is used with 480p for 480i material?  Is each
field scaled from 240 to 480, and then "bobbed" out to the TV?  I
assumed that any scaling would happen after the video was
deinterlaced.

My current TV automatically switches into a "vertical squeeze" mode
when it receives anything higher than 480p.  This means I would end up
with black bars on all four sides, if I watched 480i material at 540p.
 I am hoping to finally buy a true widescreen TV in august.

John