[mythtv] Problems with using LVM for large storage

Eric Thelin eric.thelin at gmail.com
Mon May 16 18:07:29 UTC 2005

You got lucky.  According to all info I found and my own attempts to
recover if a drive fails completely all LVM tools will give up because
the volume can't be accessed and therefore can't be operated on.  If
you were able to get LVM to remove the drive that is dead you would
then have the problem of XFS not being able to shrink only grow.  So
you cannot remove the dead drive.  From what I read when I installed
LVM I thought this would work but when push came to shove I found out
that LVM can remove a "failing" disk but if your disk just completely
fails your complete array is toast.

Eric