[mythtv] Small patch for DVB EPG parsing

Stephan Krings sk-mythtv at chateau-neukoelln.de
Fri May 13 13:36:56 UTC 2005

Hi,

> sorry didn't make myself clear, (I'm sure your patch is fine :) )

Oops, sorry, I just misunderstood your question :-).

> Do we know why on DVB-S Astra, Kristian needs to alter the code ?

I guess, it's that block:

     //The following was found to break EIT guide for
     // Kristian Kalweit <kalweit at exorpro.de>
     if (n.LinkageType == 4)
     {
         PrivateTypes.GuideOnSingleTransport = true;
         PrivateTypes.GuideTransportID = n.LinkageTransportID;
     }

I'm really a newbie, when it comes to mythtv's code, but as a fast sketch:

linkage_type 0x04 means that the EIT and therefore all relevant EPG data
is carried on a transport stream of its own (that's what the Nordig spec
says: http://www.nordig.org/pdf/NorDig_RoOspec_0_9.pdf) and is not
multiplexed into several TS's.

Seems this is signalled on Astra (can't check this, because I do not
have access to a satellite dish), but either the linked TS does not
carry that data, or mythtv's EIT scanning code never sees this transport
stream, because it never tunes there.

In theory we would need to tune to this linked TS in the background
automatically, when the box or one of its frontends is not busy, and
gather all EIT data from there. Don't know if mythtv is doing that already.

But it seems that the Astra network is also carrying the EIT on other
transports. So it works for Kristian if the block is just removed.

I think it should be removed as long as mythtv can not "auto-tune" to
this transport stream and gather EIT data in the background.

Just some rough guesses...

Regards,

Stephan