[mythtv] Building, installing and testing different mythtv versions

Cory Papenfuss papenfuss at juneau.me.vt.edu
Thu May 12 10:48:52 UTC 2005

 	I'm not sure about *exactly* what you're looking for, but I've had
good success using a pseudo-package manager with mythtv (and every other
application I install for that matter).  I use Encap (specifically the
'epkg' tool) to make it appear like an entire directory tree is installed
into /usr/local, when in reality it's a bunch of symlinks.  Basically:
/usr/local/encap/program1-1.2/{bin,lib,include,...}
/usr/local/encap/program1-1.3/{bin,lib,include,...}
/usr/local/encap/program2-3.4.4/{bin,lib,include,...}
/usr/local/encap/program3-0.34/{bin,lib,include,...}
get mapped into
/usr/local/{bin,lib,include,...}

 	With nothing more than symlinks (via the automatic 'epkg' tool).
Different versions are resolved to install the latest, or you can force a
specific version:
epkg -i program1-1.2
 	will uninstall program1-1.3 and install the 1.2 version of it.

  	Aside from the mythv database issues involved with up/downgrading,
that should work fine.  In general, when you compile a new app, run
./configure --prefix=/usr/local/encap/newapp-2.3

 	I've also seen mentioned are GNU Stow, which alegedly does roughly
the same thing, although I haven't tried it.

-Cory