[mythtv] Getting hostname of master backend

Christopher David Petersen christopher.david.petersen at gmail.com
Fri May 6 16:44:58 UTC 2005

On 5/5/05, Kevin Kuphal <kuphal at dls.net> wrote:

> Is there any easy way for code running on a frontend to get the proper
> hostname of the master backend for use when saving information to the DB
> where you have to set the hostname to the backend name, not the frontend
> name?
>
> Thanks,
> Kevin

This problem presents itself in almost every distributed system. The
solution I've always employed is to have the "master" backend, database
server, load distributor, etc. broadcast a "beacon" via UDP to a particular
IP subnet. As various "slave" machines (horrible nomenclature, but not mine.
No flames please.) are attached to the subnet they listen for the beacon and
determine the address of its sender.
 I'm not sure whether MythTV employs such a beacon (perhaps MythTV has
employed a better solution that I'm unaware of), but implementing such
feature is relatively simple. When I get a MythTV development machine, I may
even try implementing it.
 --
Christoper David Petersen
 PoORMUG (http://poormug.bitbucket.com/)