[mythtv] Re: [mythtv-commits] mythtv commits

Bruce Markey bjm at lvcm.com
Thu May 5 19:58:45 UTC 2005

Daniel Kristjansson wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-05-04 at 16:15 -0700, Bruce Markey wrote:
>
>>Daniel Kristjansson wrote:
>>The one anomaly was the TVout from a "GeForce4 MX 420" was correct
>>for all negative values and positive values up to 3%. At four
>>percent or higher, the fields were off by one scan line causing
>>doubled horizontal edges. This was not the case for TVout from
>>a 5200 or monitor output so I believe this was an anomaly of
>>that card/driver rather than a miscalculation.
>
> Hmmm, I'm using a GeForce 4 MX. I just added a fix for this
> that does overscan compensation when the overscan is greater
> than or equal to 5%. It does get one scan line off, but then
> never gets worse (like it did before). But if this is a
> GeForce 4 MX problem only then we should detect this and only
> do this compensation in this one case.

For me, the cutoff is at 4%. 3% doesn't have this problem.

> Do people generally use an overscan >= 5%?

Good question and in theory, the answer should be no. The TV image
is supposed to extend beyond the edge of the screen. The 'action
safe' area is 5% in from the edge and anything the viewer needs
see see to understand what's going on should fall inside those
bounds. The 'title safe' area is 10% in from the edge for text
that needs to be read.

If the X display area is set to fit the edges of the screen exactly,
the image should not have to be overscanned by more than 5% to cut
off the ragged edges and the empty space below a crawl for example
and to look normal. More than 5% would start to cutoff parts of the
image that need to be seen.

I used 6% for the test case to be sure the uncentered image would
be obvious but 2% or 3% would be more typical values.

--  bjm