[mythtv] PBS HD on AMC3 issues

zdzisekg at comcast.net zdzisekg at comcast.net
Tue May 3 17:32:59 UTC 2005

I sent this to the users list yasterday but got not one responce, so I thought I'll try my luck here

I'm trying to watch the only channel available to me in HD, the PBS HD channel on AMC3. All PBS channels on that sat work good for me except for that HD one. When I tune to it I got a very distorted/unwatchable picture. Please help as I've been at it for couple of weeks now and I can not get it going.

when frontend is configured to use ffmpeg
--- the picture get's smudged/distorted, constant freezing, and chopped audio.
--- CPU utilization up to 90%

when using libmpeg2
-- no freezing, good audio, but green squeres popping up all over the screen covering from 25% - 75% of the screen
-- CPU utilization below 50%

-- I've also tried with the XvMC enabled, but no satisfactory result, picture is still getting distorted, and freezing occures.
-- I've different methods of deinterlacing and even disabled deinterlacing but to no effect
-- I've tried different compile time options (with opengl-vsync enabled/disabled) but with no results. Please help as this is driving me crazy.

Below is my setup:

AMD Athlon XP 2800+
512MB RAM
XFX geforce FX5200 (Nvidia) connected to 50" Samsund DLP TV (HLP-5085) through the DVI connector
Hauppage Nexus-S (FF DVB-S card rev. 2.2)
SuSE 9.3 Pro
Myth is setup to use "Hardware Mode" and to record in "TS Mode"
I've also commented out the av_remove_stream() in avformatdecoder.cpp as I've had issues with audio playback on some channels.

I've been trying out mythtv since 0.18 was released, but because of that issue I started using cvs and been updating it every couple of days since, but every time I get exectly the same result.

Thanx in advance for any help