[mythtv] CPU detection/optimization

Hamish Moffatt hamish at cloud.net.au
Thu Mar 31 06:53:26 UTC 2005

On Wed, Mar 30, 2005 at 11:57:24PM -0500, Tom Lichti wrote:
> Daniel Kristjansson wrote:
> >But if you can show -march=athlon-xp is faster than the default
> >I'll certainly make that change. Just play the same video with
> >each both sets of flags give me the results of
> > time mythtv 60_second_video_file.mpg
> >
> Not sure what that is supposed to show, other than it takes 60 seconds
> to play 60 seconds?

Err, it'll actually tell you how much user and system CPU time was used
too. Then idle time = 60 - (user + system). Higher idle time is better.
On my Debian system with kernel 2.6 the output looks like

0.000u 0.000s 0:00.00 0.0%      0+0k 0+0io 0pf+0w

being user seconds, system seconds then total time, etc.

Hamish