[mythtv] CPU detection/optimization

Tom Lichti tom at redpepperracing.com
Wed Mar 30 20:45:16 UTC 2005

When running the configure script I notice that my CPU (model name
: AMD Sempron(tm)   2200+) is detected and compiled as 'pentiumpro'.
There was a script posted to one of the lists called gccopts, which on
my system reports:

  -march=athlon-xp -mfpmath=sse -msse -mmmx -m3dnow

And upon reading the following:

http://home.comcast.net/~jcunningham63/linux/GCC_Optimization_apollo.html

it would appear that there could be some further optimization of the
configure file, at least in my case. I will be doing some testing
tonight of the various options, does anyone have any advice in terms of
what to test, or if this has been done already and it's not worth the
effort, please let me know.

I will post results and a patched configure if I find anything of value.

Thanks
Tom