[mythtv] Freezes on 64bit when starting recordings or LiveTV

Adam Egger adam.egger at gmail.com
Sun Mar 27 10:59:15 UTC 2005

On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 21:37:08 -0500, Isaac Richards <ijr at case.edu> wrote:
> On Saturday 26 March 2005 05:14 pm, Adam Egger wrote:
> > > Sorry, missed your attachment where you tried to do this.  Since gdb
> > > seems to not work very well on your platform, you need to switch to each
> > > thread manually and get a bt that way.  Basically, use 'info threads' to
> > > get a list of all running threads, then 'thread N' to switch to each one
> > > and do a bt on each.
> >
> > I already thought it's me what causes the problem. But then a few
> > people with debian64 appeared in IRC with exactly the same problems.
> > So here's my next try:
>
> pthread_rwlock_* is apparently broken on debian64.  Other people were seeing
> this a while back.  Nothing I can do about it, really, except rewrite things
> to not use reader/writer locks, and I'm not going to do that.

Ok, I've found an old patch from Kyle Rose to replace all
pthread_rwlock_* calls with a mix of pthread_mutex_* and
pthread_cond_*:
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/107232?search_string=pthread_rwlock;#107232

Isaac, is it a bad solution to replace them permanently in RingBuffer.cpp?

There's also a thread on the Pure64 mailing list but threre seams not
to be a solution for this problem yet:
http://lists.debian.org/debian-amd64/2005/02/msg00181.html

Kyle, do you have a patch against the latest CVS, the old one doesn't
apply correcty.

Adam