[mythtv] CVS + !MMX doesn't compile (and other ./configure issues)

Daniel Kristjansson danielk at cat.nyu.edu
Sat Mar 26 16:25:25 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-03-25 at 23:33 -0800, Chris Petersen wrote:
> First of all, --enable-mmx doesn't work.  gcc knows what to do if I say
> i[35]86 arch with mmx optimizations, so the configure script really
Ok, I've added an --enable-mmx parameter. I don't think it's a good
idea to compile for i386, I think it would be better to optimize for
the pentium-mmx, and let those with pre-mmx processors compile their
own. I had a dual pentium-pro machine once, top of the line, it ran
at a 200Mhz. There is no way it could run a frontend, and as far as
a backend goes the slots were probably PCI v1.0... Also even if you
make a pentium-mmx version, you should at least make a pentium2
version, the cmov instruction alone results in a 10% speedup for
ffmpeg.

> should let me override this with whatever I want, esp. since the redhat
> way to allow for the via c3 chips AND other chips is to do i[35]86 to
> account for the c3 missing some commandsets, but allow for the other
> modern optimizaions like mmx, which they do have.
You can optimize for pentium-mmx for the c3 and pentium-mmx or pentium3
for the c3-2.

> ../../libs/libmythtv/libmythtv-0.17.so: undefined reference to
> `mpeg2_mc_mmx'
> ../../libs/libmythtv/libmythtv-0.17.so: undefined reference to
> `mpeg2_idct_add_mmx'
It looks like the libmythmpeg2 library that was added a few
weeks ago did not have "#ifdef MMX" protection around a couple
MMX parts. It should be ok now.

-- Daniel