[mythtv] DVB recording issues

Hamish Moffatt hamish at cloud.net.au
Wed Mar 23 22:14:09 UTC 2005

On Wed, Mar 23, 2005 at 04:42:15PM +0000, Matt Lovett wrote:
> On my system, the logging of bad packets (both the "corrupted packed
> detected, dropped" and the subsequent "continuity error" messages)
> seem to add up to significant cost. My combined front/backend on epia
> doesn't have many spare cycles, but even when I used to run on a full
> PC I ran into issues.
> What's worse, once we start getting the messages the system tends to
> degrade, with the disk thrashing back and forth between the video its
> trying to record and the log. (Log writes cause a sync, the system is
> busy, we get more messages....)

Yesterday Isaac checked in a contributed patch which changes the logging
macro and no longer forces a flush to disk after each message. This
should mean a few messages logged at the same time can now sit in the
cache and be written to disk as a group, instead of individually.
I think that should help a lot.

Hamish