[mythtv] MythMusic: MetaLibrarian RFC

thor mythtv at lamedomainname.com
Wed Mar 23 08:37:29 UTC 2005

 In the abstract, it's a fine idea. We don't all use parochial code to do host
name resolution; we all ask DNS to resolve host names for us.  Why not a
similar service for audio metadata, even if only at the local level.

 But describing an idealized service is one thing. Building it is quite
another. Getting a non-trivial percentage of applications to even be aware of
its existence is a still much larger hurdle.

 If you want to get anywhere close to a path that might lead to wide
acceptance of your idea, you will need to make it work with current
(unmodified) software. That means, to the extent possible, pushing metadata
back into the mp3's themselves (ie. writing tags that other software can
read).

 So ... uhm ... for mythmusic, where exactly are we on 2.3 versus 2.4 tags? As
I understand things, we're now writing tags that almost nothing else can
understand. Is that accurate? If so, can we improve on that  :-)   ?

btw: DAAP does have rather extensive metadata-description capabilities, but
in-and-of itself it is just a markup and streaming protocol. It says nothing
about how that data should be persisted.